Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Teaching some lessons at the Kindergarten.

       On Monday when I got to school the principal asked me into his office and he gave me a schedule of what he would like for me to teach each day for the time I am here.  Along with assisting in teaching a lesson a day, they asked me to lead a seminar on March 3rd and 4th to inform the teachers on child psychology and how to decorate a classroom.  I couldn't wait to start planning and teaching the students. 
       Tuesday I got to teach my first lesson of the Hooky Pooky.  This was a challenge because they don't know English.  The songs that they sing are more of a chant where the teacher says about 3 words then they repeat. When I taught them the Hooky Pooky I did it the same way. I would say a line from the song and they would repeat after me.  The four year olds did well following the actions, the three and two year olds just watched and joined in every once and awhile.  We did the song about 4 times and by the 4th time they were all starting to understand it. :)
        On Wednesday we practiced our shapes. I wanted to get the students interacting more so I got string from the supplies I brought and gave each students a piece.  I then had then use the string to form the shapes of a circle, triangle, square, and rectangle.  At first it was fun watching them as they got the sting because they had no idea what to do with it.  Some were putting it around their head and wrists.  Once I modeled to them what they should do and the teacher translated my instructions we started practicing our shapes and they did a great job.  After I gave them paper and crayon options to practice drawing the shapes.  The four year olds could do most of the shapes.  The three and two year olds mostly did circles and some squares.  
        On Thursday the topic was visual perspection of colors so we played I spy.   When explaining this to the teachers they didn't quite understand so we did a modified version of "I spy the color blue" and the students then walked around the room and pointed out blue objects. Then continued spying different colors. We also did finger painting with the colors red, yellow, and blue.  I don't think they had ever done finger painting before.  When I showed them they had to touch the paint with their hands they looked at me like I was telling them to do something they would get in trouble for.  But once they started they all loved it, as they had huge smiles on their faces.  As they mixed the colors they got to see other colors form.  
       Then today, Friday, I got to teach them the game of red light green light. The challenge with this was that the running area by the playground is so hot with the sun that we decided to do it in the classroom area and clear out the tables and chairs.  Even then the area was pretty small for the game of red light green light. The teacher also didn't quite understand the instructions of the game. Again we had a modified version of an activity but the students seem to really enjoy it.  Lastly before we left for the day we sang the Hooky Pooky.  All 4, 3, and 2 year olds we following along with the actions and some of the 4 year olds were repeating after me trying to sing.  It was so exciting seeing that they remembered it from Tuesday and were catching on and starting to sing :) 
       Along with teaching just being with the children is blessing me.  Showing me how loving and caring they are for each other.  I say this because if a student is crying there is at least one other student that goes and comfort him or her.  There is often a student that doesn't have a snack/lunch and the students are able to see and share their own food with them.  Even if they only have four crackers for the day they share.  I have found out that if anyone is hungry or thirsty and you have something, the culture and way they have grown up is to share it even if you don't have much.  I am learning to be selfless, sharing and doing all I can for others through Gods love.  

About half of the students starting to line up for the end of the day. 

The top view of the school. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Britt!

    I so loved your posts and am eager to hear more about your trip now that you're back (?right). I am so proud of you and so happy for those kids to have had you. I am so touched by your service and shout it from the rooftops to whomever will listen (really I do!) in hopes to inspire people to be as kind and caring as you are.

    No electricity to teach! What an adventure! I know coming from a developing country back to the privileges of the U.S. can be an even bigger culture shock than the transition from here to there. You come back here and find yourself annoyed with your own water consumption and our superfluous supply of electricity. Being aware and appreciative of the culture differences (your perfect example of the exceptional generosity of the kids giving up their own 4 crackers) is what helps demonstrate they are just differences, not superiorities.

    Thank you for your gift of Global Citizenship :) You, are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete